Monday, September 24, 2012

Sparrows of the Field

Matthew 6: 25-34
“For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?  Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?  And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life?  And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin,  yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these.  But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith!  Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’  For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.  But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
 “So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

This passage is by far one of my favorites. For many, many reasons.

Worry
I am a worrier. Sadly, there are so many worriers in the world. The greatest thing: When I give up my worry and say "God, it's yours. I cannot do it anymore and I'm giving it to You." He always answers. And that is not an exaggeration.

Protection
God takes care of birds, He takes care of the fields and flowers. Have you ever looked out to a wild field? 

Not one that has been tamed by man, but one that just grows. Right now I'm thinking of almost any stretch of highway in Kansas. But also the Altamont pass in California, in the spring time. All of the poppies just blooming. That is God's beauty and testimony to us about how He takes care of things. If He takes care of them: of course He is going to take care of me.



Focus
"seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you". This should be my focus. Not about things of this world, but of God and bringing glory to Him.

Story 
This passage is very important to me. I feel as if God has picked out this passage and made it my "foundation" (relatively speaking). God has picked me up out my the pit of my worry many times. One day I believe I will not stumble into that pit as often and truly seek God first and foremost, even on my good days. (It seems during the good times, I am the furthest from Him).

As a reminder and testimony to those around me, I have sealed God's promise to me, on me.

There is a song on the radio by Santcus Real.  It's called Promises. You don't have to like the song: But listen to the lyrics or read them! If God makes a promise, He cannot stray from it. 

Remember that always, it helps when hard times are upon us.

1 comment:

  1. great post! and it is so great that we can go to scripture when the enemy tries to give us worry!

    ReplyDelete