Monday, February 11, 2013

What Do I Want To Teach My Children

Lately my  husband and I have been thinking and talking a lot about how we want our children to be raised. We've been discussing what we need to change now, so that we can teach our children through example.

As I've been thinking, I've noticed there is a LOT of stuff I want my children to know, a lot of virtues I want my children to have, a lot of bad stuff I want my children to stay away from. It's pretty overwhelming to think about!

So I thought that over the next couple weeks I'd keep a list of what I want my children to learn; what I want to instill into their hearts; what I want to show through example of my life style.

I have a tendency to mean well and have long term goals, but once the rubber hits the road, I'm so focused on just getting from point A to point B that I forget about that goal I had. I don't want that to transition into how I mother. I want every day to be a learning experience for my children. I don't want to miss an opportunity to show my children Christ's love, either through how I treat them, how I treat strangers, or how they see my husband and I treating each other.

I know I wont be the best mother in the entire world, but I just want to be the best mother God wants and is calling me to be. I want to be able to look at the list I make and refocus on what God has intended for my children to learn and how. I don't want to be buried with life's struggles, or even life's joys. I want to follow Christ in every step I take, every word I say, and I want my children to be behind me seeing Christ in everything.


Proverbs 22:6
Train up a child in the way he should go,
Even when he is old he will not depart from it.


2 comments: